2023 FTTXcellence Award Basics & FAQ
1. What is the purpose of the Award?
The Corning/Lightwave FTTXcellence Award recognizes the individual who, in the opinion of the award judges, has made the most significant contribution in the past year to the evolution of optical communications technology deeper into access networks in North America, Latin America, and the Caribbean. It is hoped that by bringing attention to major advancements in this space, we can generate more momentum toward the ultimate goal of bringing fiber to every business and residential subscriber.
2. Who can win the Award?
Individuals must be nominated by at least one of their peers to be considered for the award. Nominees may have been instrumental in starting or completing an FTTx project; they may work for companies that develop or install FTTx technology; or they may be part of a government or regulatory organization that has cleared the way for further FTTx use. Nominees also may have contributed directly to the use of optical communications technology in access networks in some other way. Only activities in North America, Latin America, and the Caribbean will be considered in assessing nominations.
3. How do I nominate someone for the Award?
Nomination forms are available here. The form must be completed in its entirety to be considered. Nominators will be asked to provide the name and affiliation of the nominee, plus provide the nominee's contact information. In addition, the nominator must describe, in no more than 500 words, why the nominee deserves the Award. Finally, the nominator must provide his or her contact information, in case the judges wish additional information.
4. Can I nominate myself?
5. Must the nominee be a customer of Corning Inc. or work for a company that advertises with Endeavor Business Media's Lightwave franchise?
6. Are employees of Corning or Endeavor Business Media, publishers of Lightwave, eligible for the Award?
7. Must I pay a fee to nominate someone?
8. Is there a limit to the number of people I may nominate?
9. What is the deadline for nominations?
Nominations will be accepted beginning May 1, 2023. The deadline for receipt of nominations is June 15, 2023 before 11:59 PM EDT.
10. How will the nominations be judged?
Primary consideration will be given to the essay that describes the nominee's qualifications and accomplishments. The judges will rely on their experience and expertise in FTTx when weighing nominations. They may also conduct additional research beyond the nomination forms in making their final selection.
11. Who are the judges for the contest?
The judges will come from Corning Inc., Corning Optical Communications, Endeavor's Lightwave, and the Fiber Broadband Association. The Award organizers reserve the right to impanel additional judges as they deem necessary.
12. When will the judges complete their deliberations?
Final judging is scheduled to be completed on or about June 30, 2023.
13. When will the winner be notified?
Corning and Endeavor Business Media, through its Lightwave franchise, will notify the winner as soon as feasible after judging has completed.
14. When will the Award be announced and presented?
The winner of the award will be announced officially during the 2023 Fiber Connect conference and expo at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center in Kissimmee, FL., which takes place August 20-23, 2023.
15. What does the winner receive?
The grand prize is a piece of Steuben glass. A profile of the winner that describes his or her accomplishments will appear on the Lightwave website. In addition, a $5,000 donation in the winner's name will be made to U.S. Ignite, a non-profit organization that fosters the creation of next-generation Internet applications that provide transformative public benefit. Prizes are not transferable.
16. How can I find out more about the charity?
The odds of winning depend on the number of proper nominations received.
18. Will Corning or Endeavor Business Media pay any expenses associated with submitting nominations or receiving the prize?
No. If you are the winner, you are solely responsible for all costs, expenses, and any other arrangements associated with receiving the prize, including but not limited to any taxes or other fees imposed by a governmental authority.
19. Whom can I contact if I have a question?